Tuesday, July 6, 2010

To Be a Virtuous Woman

I have read and re-read Proverbs 31 so many times. What a wife! I decided early in my marriage that I wanted to be this "superwoman" that I read about so many times. I mean she cooks, she cleans, she makes clothes from scratch. She buys land, she sells crafts. She speaks sweetly and with purpose. Her husband is recognized well because of her. She is revered by her children. I mean WOW!! who doesn't want this life, right??
Well, I always stopped short. I always just looked at the woman and what "she" was doing. I never really paid too much attention to the last few verses. Proverbs 31: 30 Favour is deceitful,and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall bepraised.
I mean really, how could I have missed the point so badly. It is not this woman who is SO GREAT! It is God, and who she is because of her love for the Lord. I didn't always see the spirituality in this lady. I just saw her as someone to behave like. And truly to be just like this "virtuous woman" is virtually impossible. It is, however, very possible to be the woman a nd wife God intends that I be. I must put God first in my life and he will direct all my steps. He will show me how to love my husband. He will guide me in the raising of my children. He will even direct the organizing of my day and daily duties. When I am walking closely with the Lord, life is not always easy, and it doesn't always make sense. I can rest assured, though, that it is all coming together the best possible way for my good.
The word virtuous when define through Strong's means strength, might, efficiency, ability.
I don't want to be virtuous in my own way, I want to be virtuous in the Lord. If my strength does not come from HIM it will not stand against anything.
So, I will look to the Lord and strive to be the woman that He would have me to be.

2 comments:

  1. This is very true! This woman is who she is because she is GOd's first. I think you have to look at this verse in the opposite in order to understand it. This woman could be all these things: beautiful, revered by her family,industrious, wise with her money, etc.. but all of those things are NONpraise worthy if done in her own merit. They are filthy rags in the site of the Lord. They ONLY mean something and are worthy of praise because they come from her reverence FIRST to the Lord. It goes back to seek HIM first and everything else will be added! we say this verse so much we fail to recognize it's truth. This woman was able to have all those things, and find all her priorities BECAUSE she sought after HIM first.
    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that if we find ourselves working hard and gaining little then it is us trying to do the work rather than letting God bear the burden.

    ReplyDelete